According to the news reports, the casualty was decanting petrol from one container into another in the confined space of her kitchen, whilst the cooker was turned-on. The inevitable happened.
I feel for the casualty and her family, but it is too easy to blame "the idiots in London".
We've enough Health and Safety legislation as it is. If we wanted "the idiots in London" to be responsible for keeping us completely safe, they'd have to introduce more laws governing everything remotely hazardous, even the use of scissors.
People sometimes need to take responsibility for their own stupid actions and that regrettable incident with the petrol is a case in point....